Homeward Legal conveyancing background
Array ( )

Post Office launches new family mortgage for 1st-time buyers

The Post Office has launched a range of new mortgages aimed at first-time buyers. Its products will involve family or parents providing financial support for the buyer.

The First Start mortgage boosts first-time buyers borrowing power with the help of a sponsor. The Post Office Family Link mortgage means a first-time buyer doesn't need a deposit. Instead they take out a 90 percent mortgage with the Post Office with their parent or family taking out a secured mortgage on their own property for the remaining 10 percent.

The Post Office carried out extensive research on first-time buyers, revealing that 43 percent struggled to get a deposit together. While an amazing 81 percent of parents said they were happy to provide financial support if they could afford it, the average property for a first-time buyer costs £210,000, meaning they might need a deposit of around £50,000.

That is likely to stretch the finances of even the most comfortably off, while effectively banishing a large portion of potential homeowners from the property ladder.

In fact, four of 10 (41 percent) of those quizzed by the Post Office said they could not offer their offspring financial support to buy a house.

Owen Woodley, chief executive of Financial Services and Telecoms at the Post Office, said: "Buying a property has always been a big commitment, but trends in the current market and the challenges these present to buyers are all things that we know families want to tackle together

"We have spent a lot of time talking to first-time buyers and their families, and we know that parents want to do all they can for their children … highlighted a need for mortgages that allow families to support each other without having to part with savings.

"In response, Post Office has launched two new products with the aim of helping more young people realise their dreams of owning their own home."

The Post Office Family Link Mortgage allows FTBS to take out a 90 percent mortgage and raise the remaining 10 percent of the purchase price on an interest-free mortgage secured against the home of a close family member. For the first five years of the mortgage's life, buyers will make two separate repayments -  one to the assistor's mortgage, one to their own loan.

The maximum loan available is £500,000.

The First Start Mortgage allows FTBS to take out a mortgage with a close relative who acts as a sponsor. The sponsor is a co-borrower and has the option to be on the property's title. Again, the maximum loan available is £500,000.

Free Guides for First Time Buyers

Homeward Legal has put together some handy guides to help you with your first property purchase. Let us know if there is anything we've missed, and as ever, feel free to call 0800 038 6699

Whose advice can you count on
Step-by-step guide to buying
Essential checklist for moving as a first-time buyer
10 things to know when you view a property

Everything you need to know about buying a property for the first time

Post Office launches new family mortgage for 1st-time buyers
Declaration of trust/gift – what it is and why you need it
Whose advice can you count on? Ask the experts
10 things to know when you view a property
The First-Time Buyers' Hub - all the advice you need in one place
First Time Buyer A - Z
The DIY Move - what you can do yourself and what you should leave to the experts
Essential checklist for moving as a first-time buyer
Estimated timeline for first-time buyers
Financing a first-time buy
Freehold, leasehold or commonhold – which one are you buying?
Shared ownership explained
Stamp duty – what it is and what it costs
Step-by-step guide to buying
Top tips to get ahead of the competition
The Budget 2017: What we learned
First-time buyers and Stamp Duty: Your questions answered
Are you a first-time buyer? Here’s the essential criteria for Stamp Duty exemption
The places where first-time buyers will still have to pay Stamp Duty
Sourcing the best mortgage deals for first-time buyers
The types of mortgage available for first-time buyers
16,000 1st-time buyers have already benefited from abolition of stamp duty
1st-time buyers need 8 years to save for a deposit
1st-time buyers need 8 years to save for a deposit
300,000 1st-time buyers have benefited from Help to Buy
Mortgage approvals for 1st-time buyers on the rise
1st-time buyer mortgages at highest level in a decade
1st-time buyers end up £27,000 better off than renters
How to do more to help 1st-time buyers
Rise in successful 1st-time buyer mortgage completions
Look north to Hull for UK's most affordable place for first-time buyers
1st-time buyers boosted by stamp duty cut
More first-time buyers securing a mortgage
Essential Q&As on Help to Buy shared ownership
Essential Q&As on Help to Buy ISA
Essential Q&As on Help to Buy equity loan
5 years of Help to Buy and thousands of 1st-time buyers have benefited
5 smart ways to raise a deposit for first-time buyers
Affordable homes in the pockets of London’s first-time buyers
Explaining who does what during conveyancing
Innovative start-up to offer 1st-time buyers Help to Buy alternative