COVID-19: Find out more on how we can support your conveyancing journey

Swindon Conveyancing Solicitor Quote

Fixed Cost Swindon Conveyancing Quote

  1. Fixed Price Conveyancing
    Our solicitors carry out all the conveyancing work for your house move for a fixed fee.
  2. No-Completion protection*
    You will not be charged any solicitors fees, if for any reason your transaction does not complete.
  3. Local CQS-accredited Solicitors
    With local experience, our solicitors will lead you through the whole of your sale or purchase.
Fixed Fee Conveyancing

No additional fees whatsoever.

The Conveyancing
Process Explained






Get an Instant Conveyancing Quote

Please quote me for:

Conveyancing In Swindon Q & A's

We are selling in Swindon, when is a good time to create a fixtures and fittings form?

Start as soon as you can. Fixtures and fittings forms often get left till the last minute, causing confusion for the buyer who needs to know what will be included in the property. Usually things that are removable are included, such as lighting.

Can I change the purpose of use for a purchase as part of the conveyancing procedure?

Putting in a planning request to change the use of part or all of a property is a straightforward process and you can deal directly with the local authority, which authorises plans and requests. However, tying it in with a planned purchase of a property has its own problems, since you don’t yet formally own the property, and the length of time to get through the planning process (with no guarantee of success) will need to be factored into the purchase duration, which the seller may not agree to.

We would advise you to either buy the property and then put in the planning request after completion (or exchange at the very earliest), or buy a property that’s already fit for your purposes. Or you might be lucky to find a property that already has the relevant planning consents in place.

What does the Swindon property solicitor do if the maisonette we hope to invest in is in a registered conservation area and has ugly doors added?

Your property lawyer will make enquiries to determine if your proposed purchase is affected by a conservation area, and if so, whether any modifications have necessary consent from the local council.

Our Swindon estate agent has suggested a solicitor, should we trust this recommendation?

The short answer is probably not. Solicitors pay estate agents a referral fee to recommend them to their clients, so the agent will then choose the highest paying solicitor to show you, rather than the one who fits you best.

To avoid this happening, just get some of your own conveyancing quotes too and compare them with the agent’s.

If you’d like to read more, see here, or get a quick quote from us to see how much you could save on your conveyancing.

When lawyers in Swindon conduct standard property searches, which ones will they get?

If you are getting a mortgage, your mortgage lender will insist that you get a specified set of searches, including the following for properties in Swindon: Local Authority (personal or official), Drainage and Water Search (CON29DW or personal) and Environment Search, and possibly specific local searches e.g. a Flood Search or Mining Search.

Read our quick guide to conveyancing searches to learn more.

Can I withdraw my offer on a property at any time?

When you make an offer on a house that has been accepted by the vendor, you can ask them to take it off the market as part of the acceptance. If you are selling, you can show your intent by agreeing to remove it from other potential buyers’ interest.

As a buyer, you can withdraw your offer at any time (and, as a seller, you can reject an offer at any time) up to the exchange of contracts, which means you are now legally committed to go through with the transaction at the agreed price. You should check your contract with both the estate agent and your conveyancing solicitor as there may be fees and other penalties associated with pulling out of the transaction after the offer was initially agreed.

If you decide to withdraw from the contract after exchange, then you are in breach. This means, if you’re the buyer, the seller is entitled to keep whatever agreed sum has been set for the deposit, and could claim damages; as the seller, you will be liable to pay interest accrued during the Notice to Complete period as well as the deposit, and the potential for claiming losses, and the buyer has to return everything about the property at the seller’s expense.

What is the council tax on a period terraced property in Swindon?

More often than not a conveyancer's title report will give the relevant Swindon council tax band. The latest tax rates for homes in Swindon are listed on the Swindon council website. At the time of writing, 06 September 2012, the rates are:

  • Band A - £929.00
  • Band B - £1,083.00
  • Band C - £1,238.00
  • Band D - £1,393.00
  • Band E - £1,702.00
  • Band F - £2,012.00
  • Band G - £2,321.00
  • Band H - £2,786.00

How can we determine stamp duty and how much should it be on a £1.061mil Swindon house?

Stamp Duty is dependent on the value of the house or flat. On a £1.061mil property, stamp duty will be £53050.*

*This information correct as of December 2012