Open Today: 9am - 6pm

You've bought a new home and the time is fast approaching for moving. So, who needs to know your change of address?

To help you keep on top of all the people and organisations you need to inform when you're moving, here's Homeward Legal's change of address checklist.

Print it off about four weeks before your moving date and tick off each name as you notify them that you're changing address.

Royal Mail offers a mail redirection service that will ensure all post going to your old address is sent instead to your new home. You can choose to have the redirection in place for three or six months or up to a year.

Personal change of address

  • Work: Telling your employer where you now live should be a top priority. After all, they need to know where to find you to pay you! Your HR department will let you know the best way to change the details on your personnel file.
  • HMRC: Similarly, but for less jolly reasons, you should let the taxman know where you are. If you are already registered on the HMRC site, log in and change address on your personal account. Or use to change address.
  • DWP: Anyone receiving a pension or other benefits should inform the Department for Work and Pensions of a new address. You can use or contact the Pension Service.
  • Doctor: Unless you're moving locally, you will need to register with a new GP service. If you're staying with the same surgery, you can call them to update your address.
  • Dentist/Optician: Similarly, you may have to change dentist or optician when you move. But as you're only likely to visit either of them once a year, give them your new address on your next visit.
  • Vet: We humans need medical support, but so do our pets. So let your vet know where you're moving to. If necessary, register with a new vet closer to your new place.
  • Fitness centres: Most gyms have active websites that will allow you to update your details online.
  • Insurers: Make sure you update your new contact details with your life, pet and travel insurance companies. Always include your policy number on any correspondence.

Financial services

  • Bank: If you are registered for online banking, you can usually update contact details on your bank's website. Some will, however, ask for a change of address in writing.
  • Building society: Got an account wiht a building society? Make sure you keep them up to date with where you're now living.
  • Credit or store card: Most credit or store card companies will let you register for online account management where you can update contact details.
  • Finance company: If you have taken out any loans - perhaps vehicle finance or buying a new sofa - write to the loan company with your new address.
  • Local council: It's crucial to let the local authority know when you have moved into your new home. They need to know who to bill for council tax. You should also tell your current council that you're moving and the date you're vacating the property. They will then send you a final council tax bill for that property.
  • Education: When your child or children is of school age, you need to register your child for admission to local schools. If you're staying within the same catchment area, let the school know that your contact details have changed.
  • Electoral roll: To ensure you are eligible to vote in UK elections, you need to be on the electoral roll. You can update your address at
  • TV licence: A TV licence is only valid for the property it relates to, so you must change the address on your licence when you move. Fortunately, you can change address online in a matter of minutes on the TV Licensing website.


  • DVLA: The Driver Vehicle Licensing Agency is the government body responsible for driving licences and vehicle registrations. You can use the DVLA website to change the address on your driving licence (you'll get a new licence within a few days); to update the details on the vehicle logbook, known as the V5C; and update documents on a personal licence plate. You might also be changing banks - perhaps because you've changed mortgage lender - and the DVLA site allows you to change any direct debit details for road tax, too.
  • Car insurer: Giving your new address to your car insurance company should be a top priority. And you should do this well ahead of your planned move. That's because your insurance cover may have to change because of your new address. Give them plenty of notice of the move to ensure your vehicle cover runs without any interruptions.


When it comes to utilities, you are likely to change suppliers when you move home. The most important contact you with gas, electricity and water companies will be to give a final reading on the meters in your old home and then to provide a first reading of the meters in your new home.

On a related note, your broadband, cable or satellite company may continue to provide for you at a new address, but you will have to arrange for those services to be switched over a few weeks before you actually move.

Share this guide:

More from this category